Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Sharing A Memory


Hi everyone!  I was rummaging around in my recipe box and found this, my mother's recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.    This recipe, along with many others were in an old spiral "book".    The recipes were put together by the Mother's Club, circa 1968.  That would have around the time I was in kindergarten or (first grade).   This was the first recipe I cut my teeth on, when first learning how to cook in my mother's kitchen.   And many times, when I invited a friend over, we would get this recipe out and make cookies.    It has lots of tears, and markings.    I knew I had this book tucked away.    I wanted to make sure it didn't get any more tears, so I gently tugged it from its binder.   I'm going to find a way to preserve this piece of memory.
A memory to keep!

I have a special memory from long ago.   This recipe reminded me of when my husband and I were first married.   He was in the Air Force, we had been married less than 4 months.   It was getting close to Christmas... we didn't have much money.   So we knew presents would be few.   For some reason, I must have thought, since we were on our own, that we wouldn't really hear from anyone back home.    Well, I was wrong.   We received colorful envelopes containing beautiful Christmas cards and hand written letters.   Tears started to well up in my eyes, and soon I was weeping.  My heart was full of gratitude.   I knew somehow, that everything was going to be okay... we hadn't been forgotten, after all.  ♥     Then, a few days later we found a big brown box on the front door step.  I brought it in and placed it on the floor.   I could hardly wait to tear into it!    Again, my eyes welled up, and tears overflowed... as there was a huge red Christmas stocking filled with all kinds of goodies.   The stocking was mine, from when I was a little girl.   After removing the goodies, we found a big  bowl full of Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.   Another bowl of chocolate fudge, and all kinds of Christmas candies.      Those memories are so special.    It was just the two of us, living in that single wide 1970 mobile home.  But we were cozy. ♥    

I would like to thank you for pulling up a chair and visiting with me today.  Let me know your thoughts, by leaving a comment below.  ♥  

♥ Mary ♥

No comments: